Thursday, August 27, 2009

Post Cardiac Cath/ Hospitalization

Just thought I would update you all on Abigail's status.
So, Abigails cardiac catherization went great. Dr. Matthew Crystal was her interventional cardiologist. He became our hero. In the previous cath they had seen that her Right coronary arterty was closed off, not making the connection needed to supply blood flow to her heart muscle. Increasing her risk of sudden complications. During the cath on Thursday, August 20th, Dr. Crystal said that her right coronary artery is open and the connection is made to her heart. That is WONDERFUL news!! It was unexpected news, but we were excited to get it. Otherwise they did not report that there were any other new changes or problems with the heart. We did have to stay over night, but was discharged home on Friday AM.

Abigail remained very sleepy throughout the day on Friday from the anesthesia. Saturday she became extra fussy and was not eating well. I called Cardiology to report this, they requested us to go to the ER at TCH. So we spent about 5 hours for Abigail to poop, eat, and get an EKG before we were discharged home.

The next couple of days she continued to be a poor eater, she was losing weight, and continued being fussy. We were sent back to the ER on Tuesday afternoon to be re-admitted back to the cardiology floor, where we are at this time.

So, the update since arrival....
Had a cardiac echocardiogram on Wed...- they say no significant changes noted, which is a good thing.
All the lab work they have done has been fine.
After talking to the docs today in rounds, they are concerned with her poor feeding and weight loss, really having no explanation to why. They said they will give her through the weekend to improve before trying more extraordinary methods . They did mention nasogastric tube (NG tube through nose) for feeds possibly if she doesn't get better. Trust me, that I will fight against that one. But the goal in mind.... gain weight, be a chunky little girl for her next surgery, to which they seem to think the bigger, the better, the healthier= better recovery. I anticipate the next surery in the next month, maybe two.

I do think she is eating better since admission and is less fussy, overall very happy. She has lost weight in the last week.

Abigail did have an ultrasound of her blood clot last week. I met with the hematologists today. After 4 months of twice a day Lovenox shots.... there is no change or decrease in the clot. So the plan with that.... stop the Lovenox. I'm so glad Abigail will no longer have to go thru the shots everyday. She will just probably always have the clot. They will continue to follow her care.

So thats about it for now. I will try to keep you all updated since we are stuck back in this prison.

3 comments:

  1. Holly,
    I'm so sorry to hear y'all are stuck back in the hospital but so happy to hear the good news about Abigail's right coronary artery and no more daily shots. She is so cute and has the prettiest smile:).
    Jen Cook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Holly and Nathan: So glad to hear the Abigail is doing well and off the daily shots. She sure is looking more and more like her big brother, and that's a real good thing! I can't wait to get down there to see her and the rest of your family. Love to you all. Uncle Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just came across your page, as I also have a baby with similar problems. I hope all goes well with your lil girl she is very cute!

    P.S They put that NG tube in my son and I took it out, I'm in that same fight!

    I'm always willing to chat with other moms. I don't know ya, but it helps and i'm just trying to connect with other parents who understand what this is like.

    my email: angeleyes438421@yahoo.com

    Stephie

    ReplyDelete