Saturday, April 18, 2009

Mommy's update on Abigail

So much to say... I'll try to keep it as brief as possible, but lots has happened to our sweet baby girl since her arrival. The first couple of days were pretty uneventful. They started an UVC (umbilical vein catheter) in her belly button to give her medications (prostaglandin E) to keep her PDA open in her heart (keep her blood oxygenated)... She did not require any extra oxygen. Only issues were with her blood sugars the first 24 hours, which quickly resolved, but left her heels all bruised up from being stuck .

Monday April 13th- I was discharged home from hospital. It was so hard to leave her here that evening . She was NICU III.

Tuesday, April 14th- . Today Abigail received an UAC (umbilical arterial catheter). This will measure her blood pressures continuously. They decreased her oral feeds (drinking breast milk by bottle) due to the new catheter. Started her on TPN and Lipids (supplemental nutrition) through UAC.

Wednesday, April 15th- Upon arrival to hospital today I was surprised to learn that they had stuck her, unsuccessfully, 4 times attempting placement of a PICC line (peripheral inserted central cath) in her hand. I was a little irritated walking into that, no warning, no consent needed I guess. But little to my knowledge at that this would be just the 1st of many surprises. Now they say she will need Interventional Radiology to place PICC line.

Thursday, April 16th- She was tenatively scheduled to go for cardiac catherization today sometime after lunch. To my surprise I was awoken at 7 am to tell me they were planning to take her to cath lab asap. So rushing to get to hospital I was then called by 3 MD's trying to obtain consent over the phone to do the procedure. I then hurried to hospital, but they had taken her back for catherization before I arrived. Very upsetting not to see her before a big procedure. She was intubated (breathing tube) for the procedure which lasted about an hour. She was extubated (breathing tube removed) right away. We were later informed of the results: Hypoplastic Right Heart (very small right ventrical) which we knew about ahead of time. Her case is considered very severe. Also, Right Coronary Atresia, and Pulmonary Atresia. The Coronary Atresia is what we were hoping not to hear. They also spoke of possibility of needing a heart transplant. They plan to talk more about her case further with all the cardiac docs and surgeons to discuss further plan of care. They took out her UAC (umbilical aterial line) this afternoon. This was a rough day for us all. Me and Nathan stayed at the Ronald McDonald house that night.

Friday, April 17th- We were up bright and early. She was scheduled for PICC line today at 9 am. They had kept her NPO (nothing to eat by mouth) since midnight before. For second day in a row, she was intubated for her procedure. Interventional Radiology placed PICC line without difficulties. She came back to NICU extubated. We spoke with cardiologist Dr. Price today re: her further care. They plan to do 1st surgery (BT shunt) next week . Will decide further plan of care after then. They were concerned with some yellow secretions noted on end of ET tube (endotracheal tube)..... Now concerned with infection... Labs came back negative for any sign of infection. She did not eat well today. I think they just wear her out with all the different procedures and poking that she gets too tired to eat. Threatening a NG tube (nasogastric tube) to feed her. They stopped her TPN and Lipids today.

Saturday, April 18th- We came into the NICU this morning to find her with an NG(nasogastric) tube in. The nurse said she hadn't eaten very well during the night and was tachypnic (fast breathing). I discovered a bloody stool when I went to change her diaper. This led to the diagnosis of NEC (necrtotizing enterocolitis), bacteria in the intestines. This was not a good addition to the list of her problems. This diagnosis led her to get a new IV in her other arm. She also has been started on antibiotics for the next 10 days, and wont be able to eat for a week. The nurse took out her NG tube and put in another tube down her throat into her stomach that is suctioning everything out. She doesn't like not eating very much. NEC is also going to delay her surgery until it is resolved.But, Were still like to make her look cute, with bows, socks and hats.:)

9 comments:

  1. I think about you and Abigail every day. My mom even asks how you and your precious baby girl are doing. I am here if you need anything.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly....so sorry to hear about the NEC. Parker developed this too. It was tough but Parker recovered well. Call us anytime if you need anything. We're thinking of you guys often. Abigail is just beautiful!!

    Love, Mark, Emily Mathias and Parker

    P.S. Hows Jackson doing??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly, Nathan, Jackson, Haley, Mr. & Mrs. Murphy,
    Abigail is just precious. We are praying for each of you. You are all on our prayer lists at church and at school. Thank you for the updates. The blog page is a great help and lets us know how everything is. Please let us know if you need anything.
    Love, Woodie, Stacey and the boys

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey my precious Holly, Nathan, Baby Jackson, and so precious Baby Abby! I love each of you so much and my heart aches for all the trauma ya'll are going through. I only pray each day gets better. Thanks for the blog, it was perfect to get all the facts at one time, instead of little here and there via "text messaging" which is good, but only a little can be said! I love you all and kiss that precious baby on the cheek from Aunt Patsy. Keep strong for Abby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holly,
    Thank you for passing on the information for this blog. I miss you and wanted to let you know that you have been in my thoughts and prayers. Abigail is absolutely gorgeous and Jackson is getting so big. I know you and your family have a lot going on and if there is anything you need, please let me know. I really would like to bring you guys some dinner that you can either enjoy or freeze for a later date. I will give you a call! Stay strong. Love, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Holly,
    I know it has been awhile, but I want you to know I am thinking about you and will keep you and your family in my prayers. She is beautiful!

    Love, Heather L.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Holly - Thank you so much for the blog. It does make understanding what baby Abigail is going through so much easier to understand. Please know that each and every day Abigail, as well as you, Nathan and Jackson, are in my thoughts and prayers. She is a beautiful little girl!! April & I are planning on coming to the hospital tomorrow and I will call before to see if we can bring you (& whoever is there) some food!
    We love you - Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Holly - Abigail is beautiful and Ryan and I will keep her and your family in our prayers. Please let me know if there is anything that we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. holly, she looks just like your husband (except for the pink bow). please know how much your WHT family is praying for you. and, while WHT is a big dysfunctional family, we are still family. i have a feeling that abigail will prove to be stronger than anyone suspects. love to all, liz purcell

    ReplyDelete